Bringing Honour, Prestige and Colour to African Publishing!

At Kente Publishing we believe in stories that are profoundly African. We liken our stories to the Kente cloth – ceremonial garment of the powerful Ashanti Chiefs of Ghana. The Kente cloth brings honour, is prestigious and never ceases to bring colour to an auspicious occasion.

Saturday 4 June 2011

Teaser Excerpt - Ayele's Dilemma

This is from one of our short-shorts...less than five pages long and destined to be a smash hit as one of our unique 'fonebooks'  [Yes Ghana - you will be reading amazing stories like this on your phone because Kente is just the bomb!]:

Excerpt from Chapter 1
It paid to be patient. I had always known that, and if nothing at all, I could recall my grandmother’s voice admonishing me to be patient in all situations and never chase after a man. However, grandmother had gone into the other world for a while now and couldn’t possibly know that this time, I was actually going to chase after a man for a different reason. I had to agree with her though, that it does pay to be patient. However, my patience with Kofi had ran thin and I was about to end a relationship that had been going nowhere from the beginning.

As usual, he was about a half hour late for the date, and as he eventually came speeding up to the house in his latest toy, I could not help but wonder what had kept me glued to this man for two solid years. Sex? Maybe, because it had always been good, but then as my dear friend Esi was fond of saying, ‘you don’t marry sex, you marry the man’. In this case, the man, Kofi was not marriage material and though I had known that for some time now, I had made excuses. Don’t get me wrong, I am not callous; I had loved Kofi and had excused his occasional cheating, but not anymore because I had to move on.

“Ayele, how was work today?” He asked as soon as he ushered himself into my living room. Not Ayele, you look lovely or what is this you’re wearing? I guess I should not care anymore or should I?

“Work was fine, Kofi.”
He made himself comfortable next to me on the couch and took hold of my hands in his, staring at me with unreadable, disturbing eyes. Here was I, trying to find words to end a two year relationship and yet as I stared back at him, mesmerised, I knew instinctively that Kofi had something important to tell me.

Would the magnitude of his news surpass mine?


Tiger 

No comments:

Post a Comment